Townspeople is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a positive and inclusive work environment for all employees.
Please see our current opening below. To learn of new opportunities, please sign up for our newsletter.
Position Title: Maintenance Technician
Compensation: $20–$26 per hour, DOE
Schedule: Full time, 8-hour shift
Work Location: Multiple locations
Department: Asset Management
Reports To: Asset Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
COVID-19 Considerations: Townspeople follows all city, county and state mandates.
Position Summary: Maintenance Technician/Janitor for 3 small properties totaling 66 units. The maintenance technician would be responsible for the upkeep, maintenance of the grounds, apartment buildings and units, including common areas, laundry rooms, trash enclosures, and service work orders in a timely manner.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Reliable and consistent form of daily transportation to and frim work including after hours for major emergencies.
- Complete apartment service work orders and log all assigned work orders accurately and in a timely manner.
- Immediately address safety concerns to Asset Manager.
- Frequent trips to hardware store will be involved as well as travel between multiple properties. Performs management approved purchase of supplies.
- Maintain inventory of building material & supplies and maintains maintenance shop in a clean and orderly manner.
- Perform unit and property inspections as needed.
- Responds to and diagnoses urgent request immediately.
- Ensure power tools and equipment are clean and in a working condition.
- Possesses knowledge regarding water and gas meter shutoffs, all apartment and fixture shutoffs, and sewer cleanouts.
- Inspects fire extinguishers and schedules routine services.
- Meeting with vendors at properties as needed.
- Perform minor plumbing work, such as: clearing drain stoppages, unclog and replacing toilets, faucets, fixing garbage disposals.
- Replace internal and external burned out lights.
- Perform minor electrical repairs on items such as appliances, fixtures, switches, outlets and breakers.
- Repair holes in dry-wall, prep the area, and match the pain to present a uniform and like new appearance.
- Wall molding and caulking.
- Repair and/or replace window screens and blinds.
- Paint, including: units, entrance doors, railings, parking lots, door steps.
- Carpentry: repairs and installs doors, shelves, countertops, locks, etc.
- Power blow properties daily, weekly or as needed.
- Power wash parking structures and common areas in the properties as needed.
- Sweep, mop and wipe down laundry rooms on a daily or weekly basis.
- Cleaning of the front windows in units. Windows are all reachable.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Language Ability: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Math Ability: Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Paychex software, Yardi, and email and text.
Education/Experience: One to two years related experience and/or training.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Valid CA driver license
- Power blower
- Power washer
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
- Maintain confidentiality
- Good communication skills
- Use good judgement and make reasoned and rational decisions
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk, sit, use hands, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather), outdoor weather conditions, extreme cold (non-weather), and extreme heat (non-weather).
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
To Apply: Please send an email with the job title in the subject line, resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also get involved with our organization in a volunteer capacity or as a Board Member. To learn more, please visit our Volunteer page.
Updated: June 16, 2022